Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Something In The Air


I saw something pretty disgusting today. I don’t know if I can even bring myself to describe it.

I was walking down one of the back streets in Kijuju, and I saw a dead dog lying there. I’ve seen dead animals here and there before, so that in and of itself wasn’t so shocking. (The first time can be a tad unsettling, but it’s not like I’ve never seen road kill back home. I’m trying to keep an open mind here.) This time, however, the dog was missing its entire head! I don’t know who or what decapitated it, but whatever took the dog’s head off didn’t leave it on the ground. It was just not there. Why would someone just want the head of a dog? And did they take it before or after it died/was killed?

I get squeamish around dogs with missing heads, so I circled back and found myself behind the butcher’s shop, and what do I find? It’s the butcher himself washing off a huge, blood-stained meat cleaver. I don’t think he’d kill a dog for no reason, but if he did, then why take just the head and leave the body? He may not even have had anything to do with the dog, but he’s not the friendliest person in the neighborhood. He just kind of grunts when I say hi to him. I don’t have many dealings with him as a rule of thumb because, let’s face it, who wants to buy a dead goat that’s been hanging out in the air for three days? A butcher without a freezer. That’s what happens with no rules and no health inspectors.

You know, as I type this, I can’t help but feel something is different in the air of late. I can’t put my finger on it, and I couldn’t explain it if you asked me to, but I just know. I think I need a drink.

5 comments:

  1. Something is wrong there. Something has changed... the people, the town...be carefull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've being having weird experience like that as well around here in south america...I've live almost at the same place I was born, only a few blocks away, but somehow the streets are getting worst every day, some weeks ago I went out of home, and there was garbage scatter all around the corner, this isn't weird, but then I saw it, it was a big dead dog, now, I live in the midle of the capital city, and this is a particularly unusual event, not the dead dog itself, but there was no skin on it, and the head was off, even so, it wasn't missing, but lying on the side of the road...(also, whit no skin at all), I tell you man, those creepy dead eyes looking at me whit no skin at all gave me the creeps, I was chattering about this the other day whit some friends, lately they have seeing some weird stuff too, and one of them remembered your blog so it gave me the address and I took the liberty to read some of your entrys...hope you don't mind.
    Greetings from Argentina then...

    Best.
    CH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought something was in the air the other day too until I found out it was my dog farting...yeah...never feed pets leftover chili...lesson learned am I right heh....

    From,

    Mr. $miley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pay no attention to the locals, big guy...

    I admit some of their habits seem a bit taboo, but it's dusty miles upon miles from a warm philly-steak or a nice fat Hoagie, you gotta take what you can get.

    Just to be safe though, I'd stick to your own kind, and focus on the work at hand. Can't say I'm too sure about the women-folk there, either.

    Anyways, maybe I'll try to hit the bars sometime, when my agenda isn't so overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you considered buying your woman some delicious goat? I am sure the butcher would appreciate the business. Maybe he'll be friendlier to you if you're a regular customer. If there is something going around in the air, you may want to try Zicam to avoid getting any vicious infections : )

    ReplyDelete